Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why Create This Blog?

Up until about three months ago, I worked in the software industry. Then I decided that I wanted more than an unsatisfying, mediocre work life. I have always been interested in cooking -- as a teenager, I subscribed to Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and subjected my family to various culinary experiments.

A few weeks ago, I had a strong desire to make "nisu" -- this is a slightly sweet, Finnish yeast bread with cardamom seeds. It is also known as pulla. I knew that my great grandmother had made this bread. In a coal stove with no thermostat, no less! So, I decided to try it. But not in a coal stove :) I had mixed results to start -- but more on that in another entry.

For the nisu, I used a recipe which I found in my grandmother's cookbooks. These were published in the mid-1950's by the Lutheran Church in Gloucester, as well as by the Lanesville community. There were many recipes contributed by the Finnish ladies in the village. I've decided that I am going to try to make some of these and to update them to be more "in keeping" with today's style and sensibilities.

I'm also interested in learning from food authorities in Finland whether these old, immigrant recipes bear any resemblance to Finnish cooking today. So, let the adventure begin!

2 comments:

OrOliveSur said...

Hello,

if you like quality products you can find them in OrOliveSur.com

OrOliveSur is one of the most imortant e-commerce of Extra Virgin Olive Oil at the world. In OrOliveSur highlights its Ecological Virgin Extra Olive Oil from Sierra Magina (Jaen). Moreover, there are several olive oils of different types of olive: "Picual", "Arbequina", "Manzanilla", etc.

OrOliveSur has different iberian products from Guijuelo with quality certified.

Likewise, in our catalog you can find different presents for your wedding or enterprise. Such as little bottles of extra virgin olive oil, bottles of ecologic olive oil from one of the most important designer in Spain, and so on.

Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

Hey! I need help. I need to make Finnish food for my schools "International Picnic" What's popular and east to find/make?